The Match Function searches for a specified value and returns relative position of that value. It’s easier once you look at the example.
=MATCH(lookup_value, lookup_array, [match_type])
- lookup_value – this is the number or text you are looking for. This can be a value, a cell reference or logical value.
- lookup_array – a range of cells being searched.
- match_type – this parameter tells the MATCH function whether you want to return an exact match.
- 1 or omitted – finds the largest value that is less than or equal to the lookup value.
- 0 – finds the first value that is exactly equal to the lookup value.
- -1 – finds the smallest value that is greater than or equal to lookup_value.
Let’s look at the following example.
*It’s vital to add the parenthesis.
In the below example, we use the Match formula to look up “Florida” in the array B3 through B10. The formula returns the position of 5.